Stephanie is a Partner in the Corporate Department at BeesMont Law Limited and joined the firm in 2010. She practices in all areas of corporate and commercial law as well as regulatory and compliance. Stephanie leads BeesMont Law’s Technology & Innovation Practice.
Stephanie has been recommended by Legal 500 and recognised by IFLR1000 as an outstanding individual and ‘Leading Lawyer’ who has demonstrated her skills by advising on innovative transactions. Chambers and Partners recognises Stephanie as having an impressive transactional offering with noteworthy compliance and regulatory expertise and being highly regarded by her clients who note her as “a subject-matter expert with a broad base of knowledge” who provides “strong attention to detail.”
Stephanie’s corporate practice has a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, investment funds, technology, insurance, finance, corporate reorganisations, restructurings and cross-border transactions. M&A and private equity deals that Stephanie has acted on include both private and public M&A in various regional markets and varied industries such as mining, financial services, tech and telecoms, and pharma and life sciences.
Stephanie’s practice encompasses Bermuda international tax transparency law, corporate governance, compliance (including AML/ATF) and regulatory matters, economic substance, data protection and privacy law. Her experience extends to international regulatory matters including international treaties, tax information exchange agreements, FATCA, the Common Reporting Standard and BEPS Country-by-Country Reporting.
Stephanie was the Chairman of the Bermuda Industry/Government Joint Committee on FATCA and CRS, which also dealt with OECD BEPS issues including country-by-country reporting, from 2015 to 2018. She regularly advises multi-national companies, HNWIs and financial institutions on the application of automatic exchange of information regimes. She is also able to handle compliance with Court Production Orders under inter-jurisdictional agreements and legislation.
Stephanie has counselled numerous clients on financial services regulatory and compliance matters including advising on compliance issues, applications and filings in relation to Bermuda Monetary Authority regulated investment funds and investment businesses, insurance companies and insurance managers, as well as digital asset businesses. Stephanie is also a Director of various privately-owned and regulated companies.
Stephanie has been invited to speak or act as a panel member on topics relevant to her practice at a variety of public and private events. She has been a speaker at events for AIMA Bermuda as well as the World Alternative Investment Summit (WAIS) in relation to regulatory and compliance matters including privacy and data protection. Stephanie has also authored numerous articles and contributed to prestigious legal and industry publications on topics relating to Bermuda law.
Stephanie obtained her LPC with Distinction from BPP Law School in the UK. She is a current Practicing Member of the Bermuda Bar.
Select Work Highlights
• Assisted 24 Exchange obtain a Class T Digital Asset Business Act Licence issued by the Bermuda Monetary Authority, the first Licence of its kind in Bermuda, authorising 24 Exchange to operate in Bermuda as a digital asset exchange and as a digital asset derivative exchange provider
• Assisted CrossTower obtain a Class M Digital Asset Business Act Licence issued by the Bermuda Monetary Authority authorising CrossTower to operate in Bermuda as a digital asset exchange and provide custodial wallet services
• Advised Circle with respect to its Class F Digital Asset Business Act Licence issued by the Bermuda Monetary Authority, Bermuda’s first Full Digital Asset Business Act Licence
• Advised Sibanye Gold Limited in connection with the approx. US$294 million acquisition of Aquarius Platinum Limited
• Advised CMOC Mining Pty Ltd. in connection with its US$2.65 billion acquisition of indirect interest of Freeport McMoRan in Tenke Fungurume copper-cobalt mine
• Advised Ministry of Finance with Deloitte on Government Tax Information Reporting Solution Project including CRS and Country-by-Country Regulations and Guidance for Bermuda
• Advised Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd on the approx. $700 million majority stake acquisition by investment funds affiliated with Apollo Global Management, LLC and minority stake by RenaissanceRe
Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Distinction) – BPP Law School, Leeds
Graduate Diploma in Law with GDLE specialism in International Law – BPP Law School, Leeds
B.A. – University of Waterloo, Canada
Bermuda Bar Association
Member of 100 Women in Finance (Bermuda)