Gretchen is a Bermuda and UK qualified barrister and a member of the Privacy, Security & Information Law and Regulatory & Compliance practice groups at BeesMont.
As a general civil litigator, Gretchen has advised and represented clients in personal injury, employment & tortious claims, estate and debt collection matters in Bermuda’s Magistrates Court, Supreme Court and Employment Tribunal. She has further represented clients in connection with human rights-related applications to public authorities.
She further advises both the private and public sector on non-contentious issues arising from employment in Bermuda including human rights, employee privacy, immigration and benefits claims.
Gretchen works closely with our Corporate attorneys to advise commercial organisations on transactional employment and privacy issues arising from mergers & acquisitions, business re-organisations and strategic planning as well as compliance with the soon to be fully in force, Personal Information Protection Act 2016 (PIPA). She regularly attends leading offshore conferences and summits in the UK and the United States covering global privacy regulation and enforcement, most notably data ethics and data security issues arising from the implementation of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Representative Legal Matters
Gretchen has been involved in a broad range of matters. In particular, she has:
- Drafted privacy policies and data protection agreements including intragroup agreements (IGA) and model clauses.
- Advised on data asset vulnerabilities and privacy breaches.
- Counselled on restrictive covenants drafting and enforcement and executive severance.
- Represented various corporate and individual executors in various applications in the Supreme Court concerning the removal of executors and trustees, debt enforcement and general estate management.
- Represented a corporate objector to a liquor licence application in Magistrates Court.
- Represented same sex couple in successful marriage licence application filed on the advent of the tabling of the Domestic Partnership Bill.
- Delivered generic and specialist training and awareness programs covering sexual harassment and discrimination, employment law and PIPA.
In January 2019, Gretchen received approval to establish a new Sub-Committee of the Bermuda Bar for the Advancement of Privacy Law and Appropriate Regulation of the Legal Industry (APLLI) and she is dedicated to the advancement of women’s equal representation in the corporate and legal community. She has contributed to articles circulated by IFLRIOOO, Mondaq, Bermuda Parent magazine and the Royal Gazette. Gretchen was also a monthly Columnist for the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce’s monthly e-newsletter, The Insider, from 2014 – 2016.
Gretchen actively supports the advancement of human rights in Bermuda through the Human Rights Act 1981 and fair employment practices and has provided pro bono representation before the Employment Tribunal in connection with a claim for the unpaid wages and benefits of low income, non-English speaking foreign nationals against a Bermuda employer.
Prior to joining BeesMont in January 2017, Gretchen was an Attorney at an international offshore law firm in Bermuda.
The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, August 2011
Barrister, Bar of England & Wales, July 2013 (non-practising)
Barrister & Attorney, Bar of Bermuda, October 2013
Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators,(ACIArb), January 2015
Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths, Bermuda
University of Buckingham (LLB, Bachelor of Laws)
University of Nottingham (LLM, International Commercial Law with Distinction)
City University London, The City Law School (Bar Professional Training Course)
Member of Bermuda Human Resources Association
Founding Member of Bermuda Bar Sub-Committee for the Advancement of Privacy Law and Appropriate Regulation of the Legal Industry (APLLI)
Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Former Council Member of the Architects Registration Council (2016-2018)